Understanding Land Zoning: A Step-by-Step Guide to Development Potential

July 24, 2023

Land zoning is set out by the State and Local Government to regulate the density and types of development within certain areas. Land zoning can be residential, industrial, commercial, environmental and for infrastructure, like main road and rail. These zones are carefully planned by state and local governments so we don’t have a residential building located within a loud industrial area or any other unpleasant mixes of use that should be kept separate. This article covers a step-by-step process on how find this information to determine what can be built within the zone of your property.

Do you know how to check the land zoning of a property and find out what type of development can be built out on it?

Information on how to do this is publicly available for NSW land owners in the NSW Planning Portal

NSW Planning Portal

Step 1: Logging onto the NSW Planning Portal Spatial

Although the section 10.7 planning certificate is the best way to gather information on a property, there is a lot of information readily available online. Using the NSW Planning Portal Spatial Viewer, you can find out a lot of information about a property, including the zoning.

Step 2: Finding the Land Zoning

After searching the address of your property, you will see on the right side of the page, a list of search results. One of those search result will be Land Zoning Map. Clicking on this will reveal the zoning of the property and give you a link to the Council’s Local Environmental Plan (LEP).

Step 3: The Local Environmental Plan

The LEP is a legal document that provides regulations around what can and cannot be built on a property. The zoning of a property is one way the LEP does this.

Once you have opened the link to the LEP, you will see the contents on the left side of the page. What you will be looking for is the Land Use Table. This will give you a list of all the zones within the Local Council area.

From here, if you click on the zone of the property (in this case Zone R3 Medium Density Residential) and it will take you to the part of the LEP which describes the Objective of the zone, what is Permitted without consent (Council approval), what is Permitted with consent and what is Prohibited to be built in this zone.

The parts you will be interested in are the Permitted with consent and Prohibited. This is where you will find what types of development would be supported by Council to be built on the property.

NSW Planning Portal Land Use Table

As you can see in the example below, it doesn’t list secondary dwelling (granny flat) in Permitted with consent or Prohibited.  In this case you would refer to Permitted with consent section that states, Any other development not specified in item 2 or 4. As a secondary dwelling is not list in item 2 (Permitted without consent) or item 4 (Prohibited), a secondary dwelling is then Permitted with consent and can be proposed on this property by lodging a Development Application (DA) with the Local Council.

NSW Planning Portal R3 Planning Example

You need to also be aware that a secondary dwelling can fall under the category of Residential Accommodation. If you do see Residential Accommodation in Permitted with consent and a secondary dwelling is not listed in Prohibited, then this would also mean the zone allows a secondary dwelling. The same applies with dual occupancies and multi dwelling housing.

The above only applies to proposing a secondary dwelling as a DA through Councils LEP and Development Control Plan (DCP). Remember, the State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) Housing 2021 will allow secondary dwellings in the zones R1, R2, R3, R4 and R5 even if the Council’s LEP prohibits it.

Need Some Expert Help?

Knowledge is non-negotiable. Our Design Consultant will measure out your site and help you fully understand the possibilities for your block, and be able to discuss in detail your options for a CDC or Development Application. When you’re planning to build, you want assurance that your site is suitable, and that you are not going to be impacted mid-build by unforeseen or surprise costs. We provide a thorough, free, upfront feasibility study for your Granny Flat which gives you an assured green light to build.

Play Video

Free On-Site Assessment at Your Property

Interested in finding out how to make a positive investment from a Cubitt's Granny Flat or Home Extension? Get in touch for a no-obligation site inspection today.

If you are looking to purchase a new property and want to do a Granny Flat Suitability Check - please use this form instead.

We require your name, email and phone number to get back to you - and the more you can tell us about your build project, the more effectively our local teams can help.


Recent Blogs

NSW Farm Stay Accommodations FAQ

The NSW Government has made it easier for farmers to use their land for tourism activities, such as farm experiences, cellar doors and farm stays.

Read More about NSW Farm Stay Accommodations FAQ

Eco-Tourism Accommodations in NSW: A Blueprint for Sustainability

As the NSW Government throws its weight behind ecotourism initiatives, eco-tourism accommodation has a pivotal role to play in fostering sustainable experiences that resonate with today’s conscientious travellers.

Read More about Eco-Tourism Accommodations in NSW: A Blueprint for Sustainability

Building Your Accommodation Business from Scratch in Rural NSW: A Comprehensive Guide

Whether you’re envisioning a cosy bed and breakfast or a cluster of serviced apartments, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you turn your dream of building an accommodation business into a prosperous reality.

Read More about Building Your Accommodation Business from Scratch in Rural NSW: A Comprehensive Guide

What the Inland Code Means for Your Rural NSW Granny Flat Project

Are you considering adding a Granny Flat to your property in rural or regional New South Wales? The Inland Code does not permit complying development for the erection of secondary dwellings, commonly known as granny flats. This means that for the 69 Local Government Areas (LGAs) falling under the Inland Code, obtaining approval for a Granny Flat requires a Development Application (DA).

Read More about What the Inland Code Means for Your Rural NSW Granny Flat Project

Unlocking Affordable Housing: Cubitt’s Calls on Premier Minns to Take a Cue from QLD

Cubitt’s Granny Flats advocates for affordable housing solutions, drawing inspiration from Queensland’s grant incentives for smaller builds.

Read More about Unlocking Affordable Housing: Cubitt’s Calls on Premier Minns to Take a Cue from QLD

ACT Land Zone RZ1 – You Can Now Build a Dual Occupancy up to 120m and Subdivide Your Block

ACT Canberra residential zone 1 (RZ1) blocks measuring 800 square meters or more are now eligible for the construction of two homes. Here is a quick FAQ on some elements of this change to help you start planning your ACT Dual Occupancy

Read More about ACT Land Zone RZ1 – You Can Now Build a Dual Occupancy up to 120m and Subdivide Your Block

About Vince Zinghini

Vince is Cubitt's Director of Planning. With two decades experience in NSW and ACT Council planning and a team of people covering the specific areas in which Cubitt's build, its rare to find a planning scenario we haven't been able to tackle.